Hollywood versus Landscape Architecture
The illusion of depth, space layering, mystery and drama are all elements that work together to create emotion and tell a story. Whether creating a movie set or an outdoor space, there are many parallels in Hollywood film sets and Landscape Architecture design.
Taking on a major landscape project by yourself may be a bit overwhelming, but knowing what to expect will help you prepare for what’s to come. On film sets and landscape projects alike, everything is hidden behind the scenes. There are months of planning in advance, designs to finalize, permits to obtain, specifications to meet, bids to acquire and numerous details to juggle before construction even begins.
The ultimate success of any Hollywood film or Landscape Architecture project, is having a well-planned design or storyline. If you’re thinking about improvements for your property, keep these parallel design techniques in mind:
Illusion of Depth
Colors, textures, shadows, and scale have long been used by set designers and landscape architects to create spatial awareness. Cool colors such as blue, green and purple are calming and help objects seem farther away. In contrast, warm colors like orange, red and yellow give an emotion of excitement and objects appear closer in. If you want your outdoor space or set to appear bigger, incorporate fine textures near the back and perimeters. The light and airy textures tend to draw the eye toward the background making the space seem larger.
Repetition and uniformity of similar objects, colors, size or sounds are examples of space layering. By incorporating similar patterns or repetition, it subconsciously carries the design throughout the entire storyline or landscape project area.
Have you ever noticed how an off-centered angle or meandering pathway creates intrigue and mystery? This technique is called hide and reveal. By not revealing the entire set or landscape all at once, it creates mystery and lures you into the next frame. Another way to add mystery is to obscure 75% of the approaching scene or area and frame the remaining 25% with structures, walls or plants.
Lighting, use of materials and backdrops are all effective design tools when creating drama. By placing light fixtures in trees, it casts dramatic shadows of intertwining branches and rustling leaves below. This technique is called moon-lighting. If there’s no night-time scenes or evening use, trickling water or flowing waterfall is another alternative to create drama in the landscape. A portal transition such as a tunnel, edge of a forest, or open field is another is another effective technique to create drama.
I hope you enjoyed this "Hollywood versus Landscape Architecture" blog. Please comment below or ask me a question. If you’re looking for a landscape architect to help with your project, fill out our web inquiry form at http://www.bauercombs.com/contact.html to schedule a telephone or video meeting with us.
Author: Susan Combs Bauer, president of BauerCombs & Associates, Inc. - Landscape Architecture and Land Planning. Located in North Bend, WA serving the greater Puget Sound areas and beyond. www.bauercombs.com
BauerCombs News + Landscape Garden Design Tips with Susan.
Susan Combs Bauer, Landscape Architect www.bauercombs.com
We would love to hear from you. Please say hello and send us a message!.